Monday, February 7, 2011

Postcard Trend?

I probably obsess about my mail more than most people.  My husband has learned to save his mail solicitations (we don't say the "j" word in my house) for me.  I look for interesting samples to use as ideas for our mailings, ideas for customer's mailings and prospecting purposes. 

Last week I noticed a trend with postcards in my mail.  Actually 4 1/4 x 6 postcards!  Of course, I had to critique and compare these. 

Each postcard carried a different offer or request - one coupon, one rate quote request, and one request for a donation.  And although the messages were different, the address side of the postcards were fairly similar in look.  So it was the image side of the postcards that caught my attention or lack there of. 

So who hit the mark?

Chicken of the Sea - Probably one of the least likely organizations to know me but they used my first name and a birthday message.  I liked the use of UV coating on the image side of the postcard.  And here's an example of a direct mail piece pushing readers to their social media outlets for more information. 
A+



Liberty Mutual - I liked the sense of urgency with the expiration date on the image side of the card.  They also get points for using an unusual dollar amount that they could save me.  The address side announced my alumni association and provided a personal invitation number, both intriguing BUT they didn't really distinguish these.  The card contained a lot of copy printed all in black in on a white back ground.  I would have suggested using a second ink for the font or creating a shaded box around my personal invitation number or alumni association.  And more importantly my only response method is to call a 1-800 number.  What?!  Where's the website address so that I can load my personal invitation number there and get a free quote? 
B-


WVU - School of Journalism - Please forgive me!  I bleed blue and gold but your direct mail solicitation missed the mark.  I like the use of white space on the postcard but the USPS wasn't so kind to your postcard when they processed it for mail and the white space isn't so white anymore.  UV coating would have helped to keep this piece in better shape through the mail.  The use of bolding on the address side did help to drive their main points even though the font was in all black.  My biggest issue with this piece is the lack of personalization.  I graduated from the School of Journalism.  They should know the year, my classes, my teachers, etc.  Put something on there that relates to me, even if it's just my name on the front of the card.
C






I would suggest that if you want to use a postcard in your next direct mail campaign make sure you think about the use of copy, white space, the durability of the paper, and best use of personalization to catch your readers eye.

No comments:

Post a Comment